Information on early Masters of Lodge St John No16

Information on early Past Masters of Lodge St John No16



The Earl of kilmarnock.... William Boyd, fourth Earl of Kilmarnock, resided for many years at Callendar House, Falkirk. It had belonged to the father of his Countess, the Earl of Linlithgow and Callendar, at one time the feudal over-lord of Falkirk, in whose person these Earldoms were attained in 1776. Lord Kilmarnock's connection with the Lodge originated in January, 1740, when it is recorded that ''the Lodge being duly mett, there was a petition presented by the Right Hon. Earl of Kilmarnock.... craving to be admitted to the Lodge of Falkirk which was received with great satisfaction and unanimously granted.'' The Earl was appointed Master of the Lodge on St John's Day of 1740, and his appointment was renewed in 1741,1743, and 1744. On St Andrew's Day of 1740 the meeting of the Lodge ''concluded withn drinking health, success and prosperity to the Right Hon. the Earl of Klimarnock, our present Right Worshipful and Hon.Master who was this day unanimously nominated Most Worshipful Grand Master of Scotland''. In December, 1742 his Lordship as Grand Master Mason, vistited the Lodge of Falkirk, presided over its meeting, and signed the proceedings ''Kilmarnock, G.M.''    


The Earl of Erroll......James, Lord Boyd, eldest son of the Fourth Earl of Kilmarnock, was born and died at Callendar House, Falkirk. As an officer of King George's army he took part in the Battle of Culloden, at which his father fought on the side of the Jacobites. On St John's Day of 1749 Lord Boyd was appointed as Master of the Lodge, and his brothers were appointed Wardens. Lord Boyd acted as Master of the Lodge for five years. In 1715 he was appointed Grand Master Mason of Scotland. In 1758 he succeeded, through his grandmother, to the Earldom of Erroll and the office of Hereditary Grand Constable of Scotland.    


Baron Dundas.....In 1758 Thomas Dundas of Castlecary Falkirk, was appointed Master of the Lodge. He held office for five years from his appointment, and for a second term of five years from 1766. from 1763 to 1768 he was M.P. for Richmond, Yorkshire, and from 1768 to 1794 he was M.P. for Stirlingshire. In 1781 he succeeded to his father's Baronetcy, and in 1794 was created Baron Dundas of Aske. He held the ofice of Deputy Grand Master of England from 1813 to 1820. Baron Dundas's descendants have rendered signal service to the Masonic craft in England and Scotland. His son, the second Baron Dundas, who was created Earl of Zetland in 1838, was Provincial Grand Master of North and East Yorkshire in 1817, Deputy Grand Master of England in 1821 and 1822, and from 1824 to 1833, and in 1843 was appointed Pro Grand Master under the Duke of Sussex, an office he held until 1838.

The second Earl of Zetland became Provincial Grand Master of North and East Yorkshire in 1839, succeeded his father as Pro Grand Master in 1841, holding the office until the death of the Duke of Sussex in 1843, when he was elected Grand Master. This high office he retained until 1870.  The Marquess of Zetland was, at that time the Provincial Grand Master of North and East Yorkshire, a position he held for thirty-five years and was an honorary member of the Lodge of Falkirk.The Earls and Marquesses continued this long association with the Provincial Grand Lodge of Noth and East Yorkshire until 1984.    

The Earl of Ronaldshay, the heir to the Marquisate, had the rank of Grand Warden in his father's province, and was a founder of the ''Ronaldshay Lodge'' No 3376 London. Unfortunately no further details can be found.


Sir Alexander Livingston of Westquarter, Baronet'.....Sir Alexander became Master of the Lodge in 1766. The inscription on his portrait at his family seat it is stated that he led the Forlon Hope and carried the Colours into Quebec in 1759. Sir Alexander claimed to be heir to the earldoms of Linlithgow and Callendar, but took no steps to restore the titles.